Friday, 19 August 2011

How much can a Koala bare...

I've got a mild obsession with Koala's. I'm not sure if it's due to a subconsious memory of seeing them out in the wild when I was 'knee-high to a grasshopper', or because I grew up with a life-like Koala toy that used to sing Waltzing Matilda. Either way I have an extreme emotional response to the creature. 
It's not just that their cute faces and shy ways attract my girlish squeals, it's also because they are so iconic and precious to our Australian Identity, that truly strums at my heart-strings. 
As you probably know they are endangered, they may not exist in the future. Existing is a right for all creatures, especially one that makes us feel so good and positive about belonging to the world. 

A couple of reasons why Koala's are awesome: 
The Koala's high profile also benefits our entire ecosystem, if we recognise the issues surrounding their survival, this will expose some of our deeper environmental issues for plants, other animals even us! (oops 'greeny' alert). 

Koala's are also very awesome for our tourist dollar, they are an easily recognisable symbol that is regularly used to promote Australia overseas. Our pitch might be less successful if we have to adjust our campaign to 'Come see Australia where Koala's used to live'. Sad face. For some facts on Koala's and our economy check out this link: 
Apart from being a major part of our collective Australian Identity today, intrinsically linked to our 'Aussie-ness' see this Aussie slang website: Koala's also have a rich history in Aboriginal myths and legends.

A couple of reasons why they are about to not exist anymore: 
HABITAT LOSS IS THE GREATEST PROBLEM FACING KOALAS. I'm sure you've all seen the 'no tree, no me' campaign, this is because of landclearing. Their bushland/habitat is being cut down to make way for suburban sprawl. Australia has one of the highest land clearing rates in the world. 80% of koala habitat has already disappeared. 
The Australian Koala Foundation estimates that there are less than 80,000 koalas left in the wild, possibly as few as 43,000.


The good news is you can do a few things to help, sponsor a Koala like me, write to your MP, think and talk about them to build your passion. Buy stuff that supports the cause.

Here's the first Tea-Towel design of a series I've created, inspired by my love for Aussie icons and the simplistic negative space style of Graphic Designer Noma Bar. 
Once this goes into production I will be sending proceeds to the Koala foundation and doing my bit to help: 


Watch this space for more designs from me, for this series and the launch date for production: 

XXSOS

1 comment:

  1. thanks for reminding me how much i love koalas and giving them a voice Miss O. Very proud of you as always. Ma xxx

    ReplyDelete