I like the definition found in '
I was quite indifferent to the whole 'Hipster' scene until I decided to work out what one was, I was a bit shocked to learn I'm about 238% Hipster...
These are the signs to look for if you want to admit to being a Hipster:
- If you immediately think, 'I'm not a Hipster!' then you're probably at least 5%
- You have heard of/use/love Instagram and have some obscure alter ego that posts posey shots of yourself on there regularly
- You are a girl and like boys with facial hair, or are a boy and have facial hair. Note: boys who have no facial hair, but like boys who have facial hair, may also be considered a Hipster. Add additional points if you like facial hair so much that you were involved in a group art show called 'Beardo' and wore a crocheted beard around the opening night.
- You like/own vintage clothing
- You like/own tight jeans. Note: If they are SUPER tight you're most likely well on your way
- You like to wear flannelette but don't really know how to spell it...
- If you find yourself 'Pattern Clashing' and getting really good at the 'I can't be bothered' look
- You like/own raybans or ironic eyewear including the recently memed 'thick rimmed glasses'
- You blow dry your hair from one side
- You sneer at people who listen to Coldplay
- If you listen to music that no one else would have heard of - add 123.56%
- Your favourite joke is 'how many hipsters does it take to change a light bulb? the number is too obscure for you to understand'.
- You like to sit in a cafe and surf your ipad for hours
- You like public transport but prefer riding your fixed gear bicycle
- You are a 'niche consumer' preferably purchasing from local retailers, and are totally bummed when you realise that Thomas Dux is in fact owned by Woolworths
- You read VICE and Wallpaper magazines but are too dumb to remember to use your NGV membership card at Mag Nation for a discount
- You watch foreign films (because all your friends do) but find them depressing and would much prefer to watch something with a bit of action
- You love blogs, music blogs, art blogs, fashion blogs, you have your own blog...or two
- You love local fashion, you probably have/had/have/had/have a fashion label
- You like stuff before it was cool and often find pieces in the back of your wardrobe you designed SEASONS before everybody else did
- You take pictures of your feet
- You have tattoos
- You don't take yourself too seriously and often dress up in weird hats after a few drinks
- You have an artsy education, this includes the social sciences
- You don't like to define yourself and avoid being labelled as this is too mainstream
- You illustrate pictures of things you blog about every Saturday morning:
See my cute Hipster girl and her boyfriends:
For more info on Hipsters see:
- Dads are the original hipsters
- Accidental Chinese Hipsters